Interesting facts about lsrael Matseke that will melt your heart. In an unfortunate chapter in Israel Matseke-Zulu’s life, popular for the role of Don on Gomora, the actor lost his leg to a condition called gangrene. His leg was then amputated a fortnight ago at a hospital in Sandton.
Award winning actor Matseke-Zulu was forced to leave Mzansi Magic’s op series, Gomora, due to his poor health. What people know about him is his gangster persona on most shows and here are some things you probably didn’t know about him.
The guy is talented, not just as an actor, but he is also into motivational speaking, a music and drama teacher as well. He also mentors youngsters as a way of keeping them busy and out of harm’s way.
In real life, Matseke-Zulu was once part of an incriminating offense and he received eight years as jail sentence. Behind bars Israel formed a theatre group named Abanqobi Drama Group. That’s were he horned some of his acting skills.
Where there is a criminal role, his name usually comes first as he plays those types of roles exceptionally well. The actor himself also confessed that he is in love with such gangster roles and that’s where he thrives, while educating young men on dangers of criminal activities.
To date, we have compiled a list of gangster roles which Israel was part of. Check below:
1. Prison gang boss- Boyza in Yizo Yizo The Return
2. Ghetto Professor- (aka GP) in Gaz’lam
3. Tsotsi’s father- in Tsotsi
4. A gangster called Joburg- in Four Corners
5. Gang leader Skroef- in the award-winning iNumber Number
6. The Gusheshe-loving village villain, Mugza- in Hard To Get
7. Jakes Masilo, the cold, ruthless and dangerous right-hand-man to Z’bondiwe’s super-villain, Killer