What should have been a joyful celebration after scoring a winning goal turned into a devastating tragedy for 10-year-old Neo Mokgwajana, a Grade 5 pupil at Reagile Primary School in Winnie Mandela, Tembisa.
Neo lost his life on Monday, 16 February 2026, after a heavy soccer goalpost reportedly snapped and fell on him during a lunchtime soccer match at school. The incident has left his family shattered and searching for answers, while authorities have launched investigations into the circumstances surrounding his death.

According to reports, the tragedy occurred around midday while Neo and his classmates were playing an energetic game of soccer on the school grounds. After Neo’s team scored what was believed to be the winning goal, excitement erupted among the boys. In celebration, some of the children allegedly grabbed onto the goalpost.
Tragically, the structure, described as old and rusty, could not withstand the weight. It suddenly gave way and came crashing down, striking Neo directly on the head. The impact was fatal.
Emergency services were called to the school immediately. Paramedics arrived swiftly, but despite their efforts, Neo was declared dead at the scene. His sudden passing has sent shockwaves through the Winnie Mandela community and beyond.
Neo’s father, Paulos Magakwe, expressed deep pain and frustration, saying the family feels they have been left in the dark by the school. He revealed that the principal has not communicated with them about what happened, and the children who were present during the incident have also not spoken to the family.
“We are in the dark,” he said, hoping that those who witnessed the tragedy might eventually provide clarity about the moments leading up to his son’s death.
Family spokesperson Thomas Ndobe echoed these concerns, saying the family is desperate for a full report that will help them understand how such a horrific incident could occur on school premises.
“We hope it will give us closure,” Ndobe said. “We don’t understand how primary schoolchildren could be playing without proper supervision. If the condition of the goalposts had been checked, perhaps this could have been prevented. Where young children are playing, safety must always come first.”
The incident has raised serious questions about infrastructure maintenance and safety standards at schools, particularly in public institutions where resources may be limited. Parents and community members are calling for thorough inspections of sports equipment and facilities to ensure that no other family experiences a similar loss.
Gauteng Education MEC Matome Chiloane visited the grieving family at their home in the Winnie Mandela informal settlement to offer condolences and assure them that action will be taken. The MEC pledged to appoint an independent law firm to conduct a detailed investigation into the tragedy.
“We want to know the exact circumstances surrounding Neo’s death,” he said, promising transparency and accountability.
Meanwhile, Gauteng police have confirmed that an inquest docket has been opened to formally investigate the matter.
As the investigations continue, the Mokgwajana family is left mourning a young life cut tragically short — a moment of childhood joy forever overshadowed by unimaginable loss.
