Police in Limpopo have launched an intensive investigation following the tragic discovery of a Western Cape couple who were found dead inside the Kruger National Park under shocking circumstances.
The victims have been identified as 73-year-old Dina Marais and her husband, Ernst Marais, 71, from Mossel Bay in the Western Cape. The couple’s bodies were discovered in a river inside the park on Friday, May 22, after they had been reported missing earlier in the week.
According to police, the elderly couple had suffered multiple stab wounds, raising serious concerns that they may have been victims of a violent attack. Authorities are now searching for suspects linked to the incident while also trying to locate the couple’s missing vehicle.

Limpopo police spokesperson Hlulani Mashaba confirmed that the couple had failed to return to their holiday accommodation as expected, prompting concern from relatives and officials. Their disappearance led to a large-scale search operation involving park authorities, police teams, and aerial support.
Reports indicate that the couple entered the Kruger National Park on Sunday, May 17. They were last seen alive on Wednesday morning at the Pafuri picnic site in the northern part of the park. Shortly after that sighting, all communication with them reportedly stopped.
South African National Parks (SANParks) quickly initiated a 24-hour search effort after the couple was officially reported missing. Ground teams were dispatched across several areas while a helicopter unit assisted from above in the hope of locating the missing tourists and their vehicle.
The search took a devastating turn when tourists visiting the park reportedly spotted bodies floating in a nearby river. Authorities were immediately alerted, and police later confirmed that the deceased individuals were the missing Mossel Bay couple.
During the search, officials also checked a property owned by the couple in a wildlife estate in Hoedspruit. However, investigators found no sign of them there, deepening concerns about what may have happened during their trip.
SANParks spokesperson Reynold Thakuli said investigators initially suspected that the couple’s bakkie may have been swept away or trapped due to heavy rains and flooding that recently affected parts of the northern Kruger National Park. Several roads in the area had reportedly been closed because of the severe weather conditions.
Despite extensive aerial and ground searches, the vehicle has still not been found. This has led police to widen the scope of their investigation to include the possibility of hijacking or robbery.
“Many roads remained closed due to the weather, and we deployed aerial support to locate the vehicle, but our search yielded no results,” said Thakuli.
The missing Ford Ranger bakkie remains a major focus in the investigation as forensic experts continue gathering evidence from the scene. Police are hoping that the discovery of the vehicle could provide important clues about the final moments leading up to the couple’s deaths.
Authorities have appealed to members of the public who may have information about the incident or the whereabouts of the missing vehicle to come forward and assist investigators.
The shocking incident has left many South Africans saddened and concerned about safety in one of the country’s most famous tourist destinations.
